July 4, 1776
- The United States Declaration of Independence is adopted by the Second Continental Congress.
July 5, 1996
- Dolly the sheep becomes the first mammal cloned from an adult cell.
July 6, 371 BC
- The Battle of Leuctra, where Epaminondas defeats Cleombrotus I, takes place.
July 7, 1946
- Howard Hughes nearly dies when his XF-11 spy plane prototype crashes in a Beverly Hills neighborhood.
July 8, 1947
- Reports are broadcast that a UFO crash landed in Roswell, New Mexico.
July 9, 869
- Earthquake and subsequent tsunami strikes the area around Sendai in the northern part of Honshu, Japan.
July 12, 1862
- The Medal of Honor is authorized by the United States Congress.
July 13, 1260
- The Livonian Order suffers its greatest defeat in the 13th century in the Battle of Durbe against the Grand Duchy of Lithuania
July 14, 1969
- The United States $500, $1,000, $5,000 and $10,000 bills are officially withdrawn from circulation.
July 15, 1240
- Novgorodian army led by Alexander Nevsky defeats the Swedes in the Battle of the Neva.
July 16, 1990
- The Luzon Earthquake strikes in Benguet, Pangasinan, Nueva Ecija, La Union, Aurora, Bataan, Zambales and Tarlac, Philippines, with an intensity of 7.7.
July 17, 1771
- Chipewyan chief Matonabbee, travelling as the guide to Samuel Hearne on his Arctic overland journey, massacres a group of unsuspecting Inuit.
July 18, 1925
- Adolf Hitler publishes his personal manifesto Mein Kampf
July 19, 1900
- The first line of the Paris Métro opens for operation.
July 20, 1866
- Battle of Lissa – The Austrian Navy , led by Admiral Wilhelm von Tegetthoff, defeats the Italian Navy near the island of Vis in the Adriatic Sea.
July 21, 1242
- Louis IX of France puts an end to the revolt of his vassals Henry III of England and Hugh X of Lusignan.
July 22, 1499
- Battle of Dornach – The Swiss decisively defeat the Imperial army of Emperor Maximilian I.
July 23, 1972
- The United States launch Landsat 1, the first Earth-resources satellite.
July 24, 1411
- Battle of Harlaw, one of the bloodiest battles in Scotland, takes place.
July 25, 1978
- Louise Brown, the world's first "test tube baby" is born.
July 26, 1745
- The first recorded women's cricket match takes place near Guildford, England.