: The each() function is deprecated. This message will be suppressed on further calls in /home/vh5u15655/domains/this-day-in-history.net/private_html/calendar.php
on line 37
June 1, 1831
- James Clark Ross discovers the North Magnetic Pole.
June 2, 1676
- France ensured the supremacy of its naval fleet for the remainder of the war with its victory in the Battle of Palermo.
June 3, 1861
- Union forces rout Confederate troops in Barbour County, Virginia, now West Virginia, in first land battle of the War.
June 4, 1783
- The Montgolfier brothers publicly demonstrate their montgolfière (hot air balloon).
June 6, 1889
- The Great Seattle fire destroys the entirety of downtown Seattle, Washington.
June 7, 1880
- The Battle of Arica, assault and capture of Morro de Arica (Arica Cape), that ended the Campaña del Desierto (Desert Campaign).
June 8, 1862
- Confederate forces under General Stonewall Jackson save the Army of Northern Virginia from a Union assault on the James Peninsula led by General George B. McClellan.
June 10, 1936
- The Russian animation studio Soyuzmultfilm is founded.
June 11, 1825
- The first cornerstone is laid for Fort Hamilton in New York City.
June 12, 1994
- The Boeing 777, the world's largest twinjet, makes its first flight.
June 13, 1955
- Mir Mine, the first diamond mine in the USSR, is discovered.
June 14, 1645
- Battle of Naseby – 12,000 Royalist forces are beaten by 15,000 Parliamentarian soldiers.
June 15, 1934
- The U.S. Great Smoky Mountains National Park is founded.
June 16, 1911
- IBM founded as the Computing-Tabulating-Recording Company in Endicott, New York.
June 17, 1885
- The Statue of Liberty arrives in New York Harbor.
June 19, 1978
- Garfield, holder of the Guinness World Record for the world's most widely syndicated comic strip, makes its debut.
June 20, 1782
- The U.S. Congress adopts the Great Seal of the United States.
June 21, 1798
- The British Army defeats Irish rebels at the Battle of Vinegar Hill.
June 23, 1757
- 3,000 British troops under Robert Clive defeat a 50,000 strong Indian army under Siraj Ud Daulah at Plassey.
June 24, 1947
- Kenneth Arnold makes the first widely reported UFO sighting near Mount Rainier, Washington.
June 25, 1788
- Virginia becomes the 10th state to ratify the United States Constitution.
June 26, 1936
- Initial flight of the Focke-Wulf Fw 61, the first practical helicopter.
June 28, 1776
- The Battle of Sullivan's Island ends with the first decisive victory in the American Revolutionary War leading to the commemoration of Carolina Day.
June 29, 1149
- Raymond of Poitiers is defeated and killed at the Battle of Inab by Nur ad-Din Zangi.
June 30, 1953
- The first Chevrolet Corvette rolls off the assembly line in Flint, Michigan.